Tuesday 27 August 2013

Until We Meet Again (Closeout Stats)

My maternal grandfather refused to say goodbye.

Instead, his words of farewell were "Until we meet again."
Sunset on the Waimakariri near Arthur's Pass National Park. The river forms
a classic winding braid over its gravel bed, an important habitat for many
native New Zealand species, including insects and some nesting birds.
Those are the words I always repeat to myself as I pack up shop at Landcare Research and leave New Zealand once again. Just as every trip introduces me to new wonders that make me love this spectacular country more, every departure makes me long for the next return more than the last.

Eyes glued to the dissecting scope in my classic work pose.
Photographed by I.A. Dickie.
Following tradition, here's a numerical summary of this trip to New Zealand:

Root tips counted: 138,755
DNA samples taken: 3,435
Chocolate consumed in this endeavor: At least 4kg
(Did you really think I was bringing some of my chocolate home to share?)

A visitor in the lab!
Kilometers driven in rental car: 1217
Wipers-instead-of-turn-signal errors: 2
American (counter-clockwise u-turns): 1
"Correct" U-turns: 3 (I'm getting better!)

Bottles of NZ white sampled: 4 (plus a Californian pinot by Cline Cellars enjoyed with J)
Servings of fish and chips: 3 (Yeah, I'm enjoying my social omnivory... :)

Time until return to NZ: hopefully a matter of months...

No comments:

Post a Comment